I bought a couple of bird feeders. I hung them near my deck in the back yard. Within a couple of days there were hundreds of birds taking advantage of the continuous flow of this easily accessible (free) food. For a while, it was fun to see all the birds coming and going, quite a seen. But then the squirrels came and then the raccoons.
So, it required more and more feed. Then the birds started building nests in the boards of the deck. Shells and bird crap then showed up. Everywhere. Then some of the birds turned mean, and the raccoons became raucous at night. All these critters were getting testy, some would dive bomb me even though I had fed them out of my own pocket!
All these critters seemed to do was to sit on or near the feeder at all hours of the day and night demanding that I fill it when it got low on feed. After a while, it wasn’t really all that great to sit on the deck. So, I removed the bird feeder and in three days the birds, coons, and squirrels were gone. I cleaned up the mess and destroyed the nests they had built and the holes in the ground. Soon enough, the back yard was like it used to be … quiet, serene. The birds that did come around (I did leave the bird bath out), simply stopped for a moment on their own quest for food and shelter, took a drink, and were off making their own way. None were demanding their rights to a free meal.
Now let’s see ….
Our government gives out free food, pays some to grow food and to not grow food, subsidizes housing, “free” medical care, and “free” education and allows anyone born here (whether their parents came legally or not) to be an automatic citizen. This caused several generations of people to be raised to believe in the free food theory, and they multiplied. Then the illegals came by the millions over an unprotected border.
Over time, our taxes have gone up and our government had to stop using gold as a standard – now they simply print money because there is no other way to pay for all these “free” services; small apartments are housing 5 or more families; you have to wait 6 hours to be seen by a doctor in an emergency room because it is filled with illegals; your child’s 2nd grade class is behind other schools because over half the class doesn’t speak English and the teacher doesn’t really care because at the ripe old age of 48 or 49 they are retiring on fully subsidized health care and a predefined retirement plan that is paid for by someone else… Corn Flakes now come in a bilingual box; I have to ‘press one’ to hear my bank talk to me in English, and people waving flags other than ‘Old Glory’ are squawking and screaming in the streets, demanding more rights and free liberties.
Maybe, just maybe, it’s time for the government to take down the bird feeder, remove the nests, and close this proverbial amusement park called America. I, for one, am all for travel, trade, and international camaraderie. I have traveled around the world and truly enjoy people – I am not a head-in-the-sand protectionist, racist, or a homophobic Neanderthal. What I am is an American who believes in our constitution and that free minds and free markets are the only way to live the vision of our founding. That an honest days work should be rewarded with an honest days pay, and the government has no inherent right to any portion of that honest transaction. What I reject are the bloodsuckers, and those who entice bloodsuckers to reproduce – people and their progeny who would take my money and then shit on me because I strive to achieve something good and keep the fruits of my labor for myself and my immediate family (thus enriching my life, that of my family, and all those who desire to do business with us at an arm’s length).
So, here is my recommendation to whomever becomes the next president.
1. We need to rid ourselves of subsidies for anyone and everyone – starting right here at home with Americans. How our once proud American farmers can now take handouts from the federal government for NOT planting anything, or to plant something in particular because some other jerk can turn it (if its subsidized enough) into a refined sugar (alcohol) to fuel automobiles inherently designed to run on hydrocarbon based fuel is utterly stunning to me. This must end.
2. Any law that is passed must apply to everyone. I repeat, everyone. So, if the congress ignores number 1 above, any farm bill that says that a corn whore in Iowa or Illinois can get a subsidy of $X, then every other American should be entitled to the same damn amount of redistributed loot.
3. The money taxed away from Americans, that we are spending outside of America is obscene and our incessent meddling into the internal affairs of other people brings dishonor and antipathy upon Americans – our proud military men and women end up in the cross hairs. Our military must absolutely be the most feared and fearsome force on this planet, but it must not be used as a military “meals on wheels,” or as a device of some religious crusader to fight a war of self-sacrifice under the auspices of bringing democracy to people who have no idea what that is… ah, we earned ours the old-fashioned way – we the people had to fight for it ourselves. I seriously doubt the French would have taken on the British so that the colonies could be independent of both! We must never, I repeat, never initiate the use of physical force against anyone. However, if anyone initiates direct, or imminent threat of, physical force against us or any of our citizens it is out solemn obligation to bring every lethal weapon we have at our disposal to bear and make an absolute example out of any such thug, rogue nation-state, group, religious cult, or club of nut bags who would dare such a thing. Then, when the dust settles, whomever is fortunate enough to be left standing in the local population can pick up the pieces themselves – our job, defending our lives and freedom, was completed and the message was sent.
4. The park (America) must be closed for cleaning, rebuilding, and repairs. It will reopen with secure borders, bridges that do not fall down and roads suitable to operate automobiles at far higher rates of speed (100 mph freeways). We must get out of the way of entrepreneurs and other visionaries who have desire to create, for profit, high speed transportation systems such as modern railways. English will be the official language (no exceptions, to become a citizen you must be proficient at it). Portions of the Constitution, such as the 10th Amendment, will be strictly adhered to resurrecting that which most of the founders desired; a confederation of freedom bound but semi-autonomous states acting in accordance to all of the Amendments, and in many such states this will mean an absolutely free and unfettered market for the education of our kids as there will no longer be a Department of Education.
5. Tied to #4, each state in the union must be free to determine it’s own energy policy. The federal government, specifically the DOE, should be forever prohibited from regulating energy or making energy policy. As a result, all federal restrictions on the application, construction and opening of nuclear power plants would be lifted – we simply cannot exists in a world evermore dependent upon electricity without a doubling of our nuclear plants. We need a total of 200 modern scale plants (four per state, on average) and this will provide the power needed to create high speed rail, and to fuel an ever more sophisticated electronic world.
If we accomplish just these five things America, the greatest hope for freedom and liberty in the world, will again be the shining hope for all of the world. Free, prosperous, engaging and wealthy…